Dear Temple Adat Elohim Family,
Yesterday our leadership team was finally able to walk the TAE campus with environmental specialists to conduct comprehensive interior and exterior inspections of each of the buildings. As shared before, our buildings did not suffer any structural damage, but there has been extensive smoke damage. The temple will need a deep cleaning and this has already started. However, to protect the health and safety of our members and staff, our campus will remain closed until Monday, November 26. There will be NO services, preschool, religious school, youth group or other classes and meetings on campus during this time. In addition, the Holiday Boutique scheduled for November 18 will be rescheduled to another time.
As the cleaning team ramps up its work, we may find that it is necessary to keep parts of the campus closed beyond Nov. 26. We are working to prioritize the clean up to expedite fully opening our campus.
Gathering Together to Support Each Other
This is hard news after we have already been through a lot in the last week. Community is everything during hard times. We want to be here for you to offer love and support. Please join us for stories, hugs and prayers this Thursday evening, November 15, from 6-8 p.m. at BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse, 3955 Thousand Oaks Blvd., Westlake Village. TAE has reserved the patio outside and the pizza and soda are on us.
New Locations for Many Activities and Events
Temple staff are working very hard to find alternative locations for as many programs and events as possible. Here are some of the arrangements that have already been made:
- Friday night Shabbat Family Services November 16: Thanks to the generosity of our friends at Ascension Lutheran Church, we will gather together for prayer at 6:30 p.m. Friday November 16 in the gym at their facility, 1600 E. Hillcrest Drive, Thousand Oaks. Ascension Lutheran has been inspected by professionals and is safe to occupy. Temple Beth Torah in Ventura has kindly offered to provide refreshments for the oneg after. For those who are unable to join us in person, our services will be broadcast live again as they were last week on Facebook. Click on https://www.facebook.com/TempleAdatElohim/ to participate in services virtually. Our Junior Cantors and Shirei Elohim, as many as are able to join us, will be participating in this service.
- Tot Shabbat November 17: Because our little ones–and their parents!–need some “normal” and a chance to be together now, we will hold an outdoor Tot Shabbat at 10 a.m. Saturday, November 17, at Conejo Creek North Park, 1379 E. Janss Road. The Silly Cantor and Rabbi Diamond will be at the playground nearest the lake to sing and share stories with you; look for the TAE flag. Donna, Doreen and our wonderful teachers will be joining us.
- Saturday Morning Talmud and Torah Study November 17: The Elman family has kindly offered to host Talmud and Torah study with Rabbi Diamond on Saturday, November 17. Talmud study will start at 8 a.m. and Torah study will start at 8:45 a.m. Their address is 3216 N. Blue Ridge Court, Westlake Village. Thank you Elmans!
- Preschool November 19-21: Donna is working to confirm relocating the ECC to Temple Etz Chaim. There will be a separate communication to our ECC families with the details.
- Religious School November 18-25: Classes on November 18 are cancelled. Our religious school was already scheduled to be closed during the week of November 19 because of the Thanksgiving holiday.
- MAETY/JAETY activity November 18: The Fire Glass Chanukah dish event has been moved to the Fire Glass Studio at 8475 Canoga Ave., Canoga Park and will now be held from 2-4 p.m. Sunday, November 18. This is open to all 4th through 8th graders and their parents. Please RSVP by November 15. Contact Gigi Dictor (email@example.com) to reserve a spot or request further information including cost.
We will provide an update about the preschool tomorrow. Also look for another message to follow soon with information about fire recovery resources and ways we can help each other during this difficult time. In the meantime, please call the main temple number at 805-497-7101 with any questions; all calls are being forwarded to staff off site.
Our entire team sends you love.